Specialized Transportation


What is it?

The DOE provides specialized transportation to students whose Individual Education Programs (IEPs) recommend this service or to other students with disabilities who cannot take public transportation. Specialized transportation refers to school buses that are staffed by both a school bus driver and an attendant. Instead of being picked up at a centralized stop, the student is picked up at the closest, safest stop to their residence.

When is it provided?

Most students with IEPs travel to and from school in the same manner as students without IEPs. An IEP team may recommend specialized transportation for children whose documented needs affect their ability to travel to or from school. These needs can be:

  • Emotional
  • Behavioral
  • Cognitive or communication
  • Physical or medical

Some children may also require additional transportation accommodations to travel safely to and from school. These can include:

  • 1:1 transportation paraprofessional
  • Medical/nursing services
  • Travel time limitations
  • Climate control
  • Safety vests
  • Car seats

How do I request specialized transportation services?

If your child has, or will have, an IEP

The Child Study Team will address transportation needs as part of eligibility process. Please discuss any transportation-related concerns with your child’s CST. The CST will provide you with any necessary paperwork to complete as part of the review process, including:

  • Authorization for Release of Medical Information Pursuant to HIPAA: This is completed and signed by you.
  • Request for Medical Accommodations: This is completed and signed by your child’s doctor. It must explain the need for door-to-door busing and any other medical accommodations your child may need.

If you would like the IEP team to consider additional medical documentation, you should provide it as far in advance of the IEP meeting as possible.